Wednesday, March 5, 2008

And so the treatments begin!

Tom began his radiation treatments today. We have finally received the chemotherapy drug. (But it took me running out into the street and flaging down the UPS truck. Go figure, we are scheduled for two UPS shipments in one day and they put them on two different trucks). When the first truck arrived, we thought it was the shipment that we were waiting for. We soon realized that it was not. (Thank you Joannie, that one was from you). Of course by now the UPS truck is long gone. I went out and waited in the street for it to make its return trip out of our neighborhood and stopped him. Fortunately I had the tracking number of the coveted chemo drug shipment and that UPS driver was able to locate the truck that had the shipment and we made contact to ensure the delivery to our house. Nothing can ever be easy!

It has been decided that he will receive 33 radiation treatments. During this time he will also be taking a daily pill of chemotherapy. We are praying that the side effects of these two treatments will be minor. Tom is a pillar of strength and although we can see where this horrible disease is taking its toll on him he remains strong. He continues to be in good spirits and still maintains his wonderful sense of humor.

Since his balance has been effected by the tumor, the Doctor perscribed both a cane and a walker. You can imagine how this went over with Tom. Hopefully I have convenienced him that using them will be easier on him then a broken bone would be if he fell. If I really talked him into using them remains to be seen.

Once again we ask that you continue to keep us all in your prayers.

Love to all,
Tom & Lynne
Mike & Tina
Sean & Anna

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Tom and Lynne,
Please know that our prayers are still with you, especially during Mass. I visualize the tumor shrinking and withering away from the treatments.
May support, love and caring surround you.
Joan and Jerry

Anonymous said...

Thursday 3/6 @ 06:48 am....

Thanks for the update Lynne..was
good talking with the both of you
last night to check up on Tom and
how the first treatment went...
Would have loved to see you running down the street after the ups guy!!!! oh,the stories that we can write.../like Joan and Jerry saids...I am praying that this tumor shrinks..and withers away...
Continuously praying......
love ya....Joanie... & of course..
Molly Ceili

Anonymous said...

Just checked into your blog. that is an amazing diary of things. I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you guys and wish we could do something...of course I will pray.

Can i do anything else? can I send something ??? I feel like I want to help. just need to figure out how....

You both are wonderful people, and such an important part in the life of the most important thing and best thing that has ever happened to me (Theresa)...so whatever we can do...please let me know

Love,
Chris